Are You Ready For Colder Weather?
Charleston has been unseasonably hot, but the forecast is calling for some cooler temperatures in the next few weeks. Every winter, we always have at least one freezing week, and now is the time to learn how to protect your home’s plumbing system. In preparation for cold days and nights, the LimRic Plumbing, Heating & Air expert plumbing team recommends the following tips to keep your home safe and sound during cold weather.
- Open your kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals out of the reach of children.
- Let the cold water drip from faucets served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipes (even at a trickle) helps prevent frozen pipes.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night, instead of lowering the temperature at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but this can prevent a much more expensive repair job if pipes do freeze and burst.
- If you will be traveling during a cold weather snap, leave the heat on in your home and set it to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
- Make sure everyone in your family knows where the water shutoff valve is and how to open and close it in case a pipe does burst.
If a pipe freezes, make sure that you take the following precautions:
- If you turn on your faucets and nothing comes out, leave the faucets turned on until water flows again.
- Do not use electrical appliances in areas of standing water. You could be electrocuted.
- Never try to thaw a pipe with a torch or other open flame because it is a fire hazard.
- You may be able to thaw a frozen pipe using a hair dryer. Start by warming the pipe as close to the faucet as possible, working toward the coldest section of pipe.
Finally, if your water pipes have already burst, turn off the water at the main shutoff valve in the house and leave the water faucets turned on. Then, call the experts at LimRic Plumbing, Heating & Air at 843-620-6810. Remember, we offer 24-hour service!