October 12, 2016
Heating maintenance should the first thing you do this fall. With outdoor temperatures cooling down in the near future, you certainly don’t want to get stuck without heat. Worse, you also don’t want to get stuck with heat that isn’t exactly safe. The need for warm air may intensify, but this may cause some homeowners to throw caution to the wind and show a lack of consideration toward their own safety. Don’t fall into a similar trap, and instead be mindful of what can keep you warm and safe this season. The risk of home heating fires is higher than ever during the colder months. If you see something not working, it needs to be fixed immediately. Waiting too late in the season to conduct maintenance may result in more than just fires; you may also encounter safety hazards like carbon monoxide exposure and poor indoor air quality. This probably isn’t how you want to enjoy the season, so it’s important to take action in avoiding any danger.
Why Should You Call LimRic?
The next time you want to ensure heating safety in your home, please call LimRic. We should be your number-one choice for any installation, replacement, or repair work for your heating system. The main goal of our heating services is to keep your home safe, and that’s why we offer a wide range of services so no home is left in the cold. Our technicians can provide excellent customer service no matter your needs. If you own an older furnace, we can conduct furnace replacement that will see you with a brand new heating system delivering safer, longer-lasting performance. We can also work with you in ensuring you have the right type of heating system for your home so everyone in your household is kept comfortable. Best of all, we offer maintenance work guaranteeing you save money on bothersome bills and have safe heating in your home.
The Top 8 Tips for Heating Maintenance
While most homeowners will leave it up to a professional to ensure heating safety, there are also several things they can do on their own time to further secure their home. If you want to know how you can contribute a helping hand, please follow these 8 heating maintenance tips through the fall and winter so the entire family is kept safe:
- Clean Heating Equipment and Chimneys: A mixture of soot and creosote within your chimney can easily create a fire. In fact, confined fires make up a majority of home heating fires every year. Fortunately, this can be avoided if you call for a chimney sweep and heating inspection from a professional who will know how to effectively remove any filth that would otherwise prevent you from living comfortably.
- Keep the Surrounding Area Clear: Avoid having clutter or highly flammable objects near running heating systems. This includes laundry and firewood that, with one small flicker from the furnace, can easily result in a fire. Also make sure any children in your household are kept at least 3 feet away so they avoid any injury.
- Check Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detection: Your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors will alert you of the slightest traces of a problem, especially in a situation where smoke and gas are leaking out of a heating system. They should be tested monthly to ensure they continue to work in keeping your family safe.
- Portable Heaters Should Be Turned Off: Please make a point to shut off portable heaters whether you are leaving the house or going to bed at night. While they may be able to provide you with instant heat, allowing the portable heater to run can create the perfect storm for a fire, especially if the system becomes overheated.
- Replace Furnace Filters: Your furnace’s air filters can become clogged with dirt and debris. This will cause the furnace to overexert itself, resulting in increased energy efficiency and higher chances of a fire. However, if you clean the filters once a month, you will avoid this possibility altogether.
- Add a Metal or Glass Door to Fireplaces: Nothing sounds cozier during the cooler months than relaxing by the fireplace on a cold evening. To prevent this situation from getting out of hand, consider installing a metal or glass screen for the fireplace to ensure greater relaxation and safety.
- Check for Gas Leaks: If you own a furnace running on gas, you need to inspect your gas line for any leaks. A gas leak is a serious matter. If exposed to heat, it may result in a house fire or an explosion. Even some minor wear and tear in the gas line is a point of concern. Please call a technician for gas furnace repair immediately.
- Always Call a Professional for Installation: For the homeowner who likes to take on DIY projects, it may be tempting to tackle any heating installation on your own. However, the consequences of improper furnace installation are far too costly. You need to call a professional as soon as possible for heating.
Enjoy The Fall Months With Peace Of Mind Knowing Your Heating System Was Taken Care Of With A Heating Maintenance Service
Contact LimRic today if you want to stay warm this fall and winter with help from our heating maintenance!
Our Service Areas
- Daniel Island
- Edisto Island
- Folly Beach
- Isle of Palms
- James Island
- Johns Island
- Kiawah Island
- Mount Pleasant
- Seabrook Island
- Sullivan’s Island
- West Ashley